Friday, June 26, 2009

To the King of Pop...

Dear Michael Jackson,

This morning I woke up to the news that you are no more. I didn't know what to think. I still don't. I did not want to believe it. How could you, a king in every sense of the word, be dead?

But it seems that you are, and that saddens me to no end. Like millions of others across the globe, I grew up listening to you and idolising you. I know the words to every single one of your hits. I have seen every single one of your music videos, hundreds of times, seen most of your concerts on VHS and later on on DVD. Over the years, I've tried to emulate you, to copy your innovative dance moves, especially your signature moonwalk. Tried and failed miserably.

To me it didn't matter if you were "black or white"; you were a living legend. You were an awe inspiring performer and an entertainer extradionaire. Your career was a "thriller" to your loyal fans. When controversy was threatening to turn you into a "stranger in Moscow" you told your critics to "beat it" in your own quiet, soft-spoken way.

You're truly a king. Every man, woman and child on Earth knows your name. There are millions who'd give anything to see you perform live. It's always been one of my biggest dreams to see you on stage, but I guess that dream will never come true now. But no matter. You have given me enough to be thankful for.

Thank you for the music.

Rest in peace, your majesty.

6 comments:

Tulie said...

I was not this die-hard a fan but I know what you mean. No matter what anyone says, he was a legend of our time, an unconquerable king.

Gypsy said...

I feel the same. It's nice to see all these posts on Kottu. Makes me feel not so alone to feel this miserable.

Scrumps said...

I know exactly how you feel! :(

An absolute legend who deserves much respect and nothing less. :)

Janith said...

I'm with Tulie... although I can't say that I was a big fan (I only have very few of his songs on my PC even) I agree that he brought along a musical revolution and was indeed a legend...

nice post PB... :)

Gadgetgirl said...

I simple cant believe he's no more. =(.

Respect! Good post Papare'. =)


Long live the Legend of Pop.

Paparé Boy said...

Thanks, guys. :)